Reporting to the Manager, Communications, the Senior Communications Coordinator will plan, direct and coordinate communications initiatives that promote, educate and inform the public, staff and the media on City initiatives and emerging issues. As you regularly liaise with senior management groups, keeping your finger on the pulse of the latest developments within their areas of operation, you will create clear, consistent and highly compelling communications and promotional materials that support the public’s engagement in, and understanding of, the City’s priorities, programs and services. You will also provide strategic advice to your clients on communications strategies and best practices around issues management, messaging and media relations. The successful incumbent will have extensive experience developing, producing and executing communications activities and tactics across a wide range of media and platforms.
Your primary responsibilities as Senior Communications Coordinator will be varied. Specifically, you will:
- Provide senior divisional staff with strategic communications advice, and anticipate and track the emergence of issues
- Recommend and implement strategic communications initiatives including advertisements for public education and other campaigns by setting objectives, directing advertising agency personnel and approving concepts and placement plans
- Determine the nature, mix and scheduling of communication vehicles to achieve divisional business goals and mandates in providing information to the public
- Research, write and develop a wide range of communications products including communications plans, promotional materials including multimedia advertising, videos, web content, press releases, brochures, newsletters, speeches, displays and digital/social media content
- Develop and implement strategic media relations plans, advising senior staff and councillors on messaging and approaches, including media interview preparation
- Research, write and distribute media releases and public service announcements as well as initiate media coverage of programs, including organizing press conferences
- Respond to media inquiries and requests for interviews while tracking media coverage
- Assign external contracts, directing and supervising all aspects of work, including accountability for success measurements
- Develop and implement strategies for diversity outreach including the use of ethnic media and community organizations, and coordinating production of non-English materials
- Develop, plan and coordinate special events
- Provide input into and administer an assigned budget, while controlling expenditures within approved budget limitations
Your application for the role of Senior Communications Coordinator must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Relevant post-secondary degree, such as Journalism, Communications or Marketing or an approved equivalent combination of education and/or related experience
- Extensive experience developing communications strategies and plans and creating, implementing and coordinating multimedia communications programs
- Experience dealing with senior management and political staff on sensitive issues, ideally in a public sector environment
- Extensive experience and expertise in professional communications techniques and practices, including strategic planning, advertising, media relations and materials development
- Well-developed interpersonal and public relations skills with a proven ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, including all management levels, vendors and the public, exercising good judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential or sensitive matters
- Proven ability to liaise with, supervise and approve the work of suppliers of creative services such as advertising agencies, media buyers, photographers and designers
- Superior verbal and written communication skills including excellent writing and editing skills for all media and audiences, as well as facilitation skills required to develop and deliver effective presentations to groups
- Proven creative ability including knowledge of design principles
- Knowledge of web content management tools and processes
- Knowledge of the techniques of diversity outreach including ethnic media, community organizations and cultural sensitivities
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize and manage assignments and workload under tight timelines which may be conflicting
- Ability to work independently in a high-pressure, high-volume, team-oriented environment, and cooperatively as a team member
- Familiarity with budget administration
- Ability to travel to the City’s sites, and provide off-site training or education sessions in the City of Toronto.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2269104 and the job classification title.